DNS hijacking and why to care about it?
Domain Name Server (DNS) hijacking, also referred to as DNS redirection, is a specific type of DNS cyber-attack in which DNS queries are incorrectly resolved by redirecting queries to malicious sites. To perform the attack, perpetrators either install malware on user computers or override TCP/IP settings and modifying a server’s settings.
DNS hijacking is frequently used for pharming or phishing by displaying fake versions of sites users access and stealing data or credentials from users.
Four primary methods carried out by to hackers to carry out DNS redirection attacks:
Local DNS Hijacking in which hackers will install Trojan malware on the user’s computer, allow them to change the local DNS settings and redirect the user to visit malicious web sites.
Router DNS Hijacking in which attackers can take over a router that has default passwords or firmware vulnerabilities and overwrite DNS settings, affecting all users who are connected to that router.
Man in the Middle Attack is a method of DNS hijack which allows hackers to intercept communication between a user and the DNS server and provide different destination IP addresses to redirect the user to malicious sites.
Rogue DNS Server – In this instance, hackers will attack the DNS server and can change the DNS records to redirect DNS requests to open malicious sites that they control.
Ways to prevent DNS hijacking :
· Good Security Software is the most important step that will prevent malware from being installed on the user’s hard drives.
· Install A Firewall or turn on your routers built-in firewall to stop becoming a victim
· Identify Resolvers on your Network so that no one from outside your organization can access your organization’s network.
· Restrict Access to Server-Utilizing both physical security, as well as a firewall, require multi-factor access.
· Update router frequently -Hackers routinely look for vulnerable DNS servers so make sure your router is running an up-to-date version of the software.
If you think you may already be infected, we can help. click here to travel to a contact form to seek out how else we will assist you and your business.